PARENTS'/GUARDIANS' BILL OF RIGHTS FOR DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY
The Gates Chili Central School District seeks to use current technology, including electronic storage, retrieval, and analysis of information about students’ education experience to enhance the opportunities for learning and to increase the efficiency of our operations.
Gates Chili Central School District seeks to ensure that parents have information about how the District stores, retrieves, and uses information about students, and to meet all legal requirements for maintaining the privacy and security of protected student data and protected principal and teacher data, including Section 2‐d of the New York State Education Law.
To further these goals, the District has posted this Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security.
1. A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes. The term “student” refers to any person attending or seeking to enroll in an educational agency, and the term “personally identifiable information” (“PII”) uses the definition provided in FERPA. Under FERPA, personally identifiable information or PII includes, but is not limited to:
(a) The student’s name;
(b) The name of the student’s parent/guardian or other family members;
(c) The address of the student or student’s family;
(d) A personal identifier, such as the student’s social security number, student number, or biometric record;
(e) Other indirect identifiers, such as the student’s date of birth, place of birth, and mother’s maiden name;
(f) Other information that, alone or in combination, is linked or linkable to a specific student that would allow a reasonable person in the school community, who does not have personal knowledge of the relevant circumstances, to identify the student with reasonable certainty; or
(g) Information requested by a person who the educational agency or institution reasonably believes knows the identity of the student to whom the education record relates.
2. Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record. The procedures for exercising this right can be found in Student Records Policy 7240.
3. State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
4. A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/documentation/NYSEDstudentData.xlsx and a copy may be obtained by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.
5. Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed in writing, to:
(a) Chief Privacy Officer
New York State Education Department
Room 863 EBA
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234
(b) Gates Chili Central School District Data Protection Officer
Gates Chili Central School District
1 Spartan Way
Rochester, NY 14624