Background information on the euphonium:
The euphonium is smaller member of the tuba family. It uses the same mouthpiece as the trombone. Brass players learn to use a combination of lip pressure, air speed/direction and fingerings to play different pitches.
The district has purchased euphoniums, French horns and tubas to makes them available for students to rent. The district takes care of maintenance and repairs. Your child is expected to handle all instruments with care.
Instrument rental is on a first come, first served basis. Students take one instrument home where it stays. There is a second one here at school for your child. All your child has to carry back and forth to school is the mouthpiece (which you must purchase) and the band music.
Here is what you must do for your child to play the euphonium:
The annual rental fee is $25.00; please send in a check made payable to the Gates Chili CSD.
You must buy a mouthpiece:
Here is what your child needs for the first lesson:
- Bach 6 1/2 AL trombone mouthpiece (small shank) ($60 approx)
- Blessing 6 1/2 AL trombone mouthpiece (small shank)
- Glory Silver Plated Mouthpiece 6 1/2 AL Amazon $9
* Although the Yamaha Valve oil is more expensive, we have found that the valves are continually sticking with other valve oils.
- euphonium (rented from school)
- trombone mouthpiece
- music stand (leave at home)
- Yamaha Synthetic valve oil (regular) YAC RVO
- tuning slide grease
- Lesson Book, Essential Elements for Euphonium/Baritone book 1- provided by the school