Children work to expand their vocabulary when they know, find, and use interesting words. Having a rich vocabulary makes reading, writing, and speaking more fun!
Expand Vocabulary Strategies (The CAFE Book, Boushey & Moser)
Please contact me for more information and resources to best support your child's vocabulary development!
- Voracious Reading
- Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing
- Use pictures, illustrations, and diagrams
- Use word parts to determine the meaning of words (prefixes, suffixes, origins, abbreviations, etc.)
- Use prior knowledge and context to predict and confirm meaning
- Ask someone to define the word for you
- Use dictionaries, thesauruses, and glossaries as tools