Accuracy is the ability to read the words correctly according to the "rules" of the English language. A child must be able to read with a high level of accuracy to truly comprehend more complex text. Phonics and word work practice, along with rigorous reading, is important in improving a child's accuracy.
Accuracy Strategies (The CAFE Book, Boushey & Moser)
- Cross Check... Do the pictures and/or words look right? Do they sound right? Do they make sense?
- Use the pictures... Do the words and pictures match?
- Use beginning and ending sounds
- Blend sounds; stretch and reread
- Flip the sound
- Chunk letters and sounds together
- Skip the word, then come back
- Trade a word/ guess a words that makes sense
Please contact me for more information and resources to best support your child's accuracy!