What is a Social Worker?


    *Notice: During the COVID-19 School Closure, I will still be available to support families and students. Please don't hesitate to contact me at Catherine_Schwasman@gateschili.org, or by phone at 247-5050 ext 81108. Please leave me a voicemail with your name and the best number to contact you back and I will return your call.

    Also, please check the school website, and social media weekly for social emotional activities that can be practiced within the home! You can also visit my COVID-19 resources page as well.

    If you are needing assistance with childcare, temporary assistance, or food please visit https://www2.monroecounty.gov/hs-coronavirus


    Welcome to the 2020-21 school year!

    Please take a moment to browse through this webpage to learn a little bit about the social work services offered at Paul Road School.  Remember to stop back frequently for updates.

    So, what is a social worker?

    A Social Worker is a trained mental health professional who serves as an advocate for students, and families and linking parents with available school and community resources to best meet the needs of a student and his/her family. We  are part of a multi-disciplinary team of individuals at school working together to make school a happy, successful place for students.

    What does a social worker do?

    Social Workers assist in providing counseling services to students and their families. Counseling can be provided to a student on an individual or small group basis. Groups vary based upon the needs of a building, but generally focus on issues related to social development, family issues and coping skills. All groups are voluntary and are held once weekly, usually during the student's lunch time to minimize pull outs from the classroom. Individual support is scheduled during the remaining portions of the school day at a time that best fits the student's schedule.

    In addition to working with students, social workers provide assistance to teachers and other school staff, as well as parents/guardians. On this web page I will provide links to helpful resources or you can feel free to give me a call and we can discuss the issue at hand. I am always available by phone, or we can schedule an appointment to meet individually.

    How can I access social work services?

    Students can be referred to the social worker for on-going assistance by their parent/guardian, classroom teacher, or pupil assistance team at school. Occasionally, if a student is having a problem during the school day they may stop down for a "quick chat" and return to the classroom when feeling better.

    Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. I am always available by e-mail(Catherine_Schwasman@gateschili.org) or phone 585-247-2144 x 81108