Background information on the french horn :
The french horn is the alto voice of the brass family. It's early ancestor was the hunting horn. Brass players learn to use a combination of lip pressure, air speed/direction and fingerings to play different pitches.
The district has purchased euphoniums, french horns and tubas to makes them available for students to rent. The district takes care of maintenance and repairs. Your child is expected to handle all instruments with care.
Instrument rental is on a first come, first served basis. Students take one instrument home where it stays. There is a second one here at school for your child. All your child has to carry back and forth to school is the mouthpiece (which you must purchase) and the band music.
Here is what you must do for your child to play the french horn:
The annual rental fee is $25.00; please send in a check made payable to the Gates Chili CSD.
You must buy a mouthpiece:
- Holton Farkas MC french horn mouthpiece
- Schilke 27 french horn mouthpiece
The school provides the lesson book.
French horn shopping list
- Holton Farkus Medium Cup mouthpiece
- Folding music stand
- Slide Eze ~ Slide grease to keep your horn’s tuning slides working.
- Rotor oil ~ Lubricant to keep the valves from freezing up.
- Handkerchief ~ To wipe fingerprints.
Atlas music 671-2020 ~ Cadance Music 247-8690